Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Brennan

I read this today and it reminded me afresh of the breathtaking power of grace. God's abounding grace!

What makes authentic disciples is not visions, ecstasies, biblical mastery of chapter and verse, or spectacular success in ministry, but a capacity for faithfulness. Buffeted by the fickle winds of failure, battered by their own unruly emotions, and bruised by rejection and riducule, authentic disciples may have stumbled and frequently fallen, endured lapses and relapses, gotten handcuffed to the fleshpots and wandered into a far country. Yet, they kept coming back to Jesus.

After life has lined their faces a little, many followers of Jesus come into a coherent sense of themselves for the first time. When they modestly claim, "I am still a ragamuffin, but I'm different" they are right. Where sin abounded, grace has abounded more. Brennan Manning--The Ragamuffin Gospel

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read a good bit of his book Ruthless Trust, sure was thought provoking. I like him.

Korey said...

Brennan Manning articulates grace in a way that bypasses my confusion, doubts, and inquiries.

The Ragamuffin Gospel is one of my favorite books of all time, and it's always good to be reminded that we are indeed ragamuffins.

(He has a new book coming out this year, I can't wait!)

Webmaster220 said...

I have the book but I have not read it yet. Thanks for the heads up about it being a great book.