Friday, January 23, 2009

The Least

This thought from Dave Burchett’s book When Bad Christians Happen To Good People pushed a good reminder my way:

Notice that Matthew 25:35-40 doesn’t say, “For I was hungry and you gave a check to the local food bank, I was thirsty and you gave money to a fresh water relief fund, I was a stranger and you supported a homeless shelter, I needed clothes and you made a quick drop-off at Goodwill, I was sick and you donated to a Christian medical outreach, I was in prison and you supported Prison Fellowship.” There is nothing wrong with doing any or all of the above, but I would suggest we all need to mix in personal contact.

I have made a commitment in this area: I am committed to giving something besides my money to the mission of Christ. There is a time to give money and a time to give yourself. You won’t get the same kind of blessing or personal growth out of sending a check that you would rolling up your selves and actually touching someone.

No comments: