Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

I met my wife Annie when she was sixteen. She was eigthteen and I was twenty when we got married. That was 35 years ago yesterday. I enjoyed Pastor Derek's remarks about his recent anniversary. He listed the top ten things he adores about Kim. Very cool. As I reflected on my marriage, I think the thing that is most true about Annie is captured in this view of marriage held by columnist Richard Needham:


You don't marry one person; you marry three:
the person you think they are,
the person they are, and
the person they are going to become
as a result of being married to you.
-- Richard Needham

At eighteen, I thought Annie was the most unique, beautiful, caring, light hearted and loving person I would ever cross paths with. She still is. The person I thought she was is exactly the person she turned out to be. I have loved every bit of our time together and pray my influence on her is at least a small measure of the impact she’s made in my life. Annie, I couldn’t love you more.

No comments: