Thursday, August 28, 2008

Grateful?

Clean Slate Living Principle: Another way to keep each day fresh is to express your appreciation to God and man every opportunity you get. I'm sure there's loads of things going on in your life that you wish were different or may have never happened. None the less, a grateful soul steadies you in the realm of hope, trust and grace. There's far more joy in being appreciative even when things don't make sense or seem unfair than dying the slow death of bitterness.

Mother Theresa told this story in an address to the National Prayer Breakfast in 1994: One evening we went out, and we picked up four people from the street. And one of them was in a most terrible condition. I told the sisters, "You take care of the other three; I will take care of the one who looks worst." So I did for her all that my love could do. I put her in bed, and there was such a beautiful smile on her face. She took hold of my hand as she said two words only: "Thank you." Then she died. I could not help but examine my conscience before her. And I asked: What would I say if I were in her place? And my answer was very simple. I would have tried to draw a little attention to myself. I would have said, "I am hungry, I am dying, I am in pain," or something. But she gave me much more; she gave me her grateful love. And she died with a smile on her face. Gratitude brings a smile and becomes a gift.

No comments: