Tuesday, June 03, 2008

wisdom

As I was getting ready for the day, I had the TV on and was listening to a pastor teach about wisdom. I love when God uses even backdrop communication to embed something into our thinking. I’m in several situations where people I work with are struggling for clarity and wisdom in making life changing decisions. The guy on the TV said, “Let me give you my definition for wisdom.” A word like wisdom by its very nature seems to require a pretty lofty definition, so I paused from what I was doing and listened a little closer. “Wisdom, he goes on to say, is having the ability to discern the difference.” The difference between what? The difference between everything. Wisdom helps us pick right over wrong, a good choice over a bad one. Wisdom plays a key role in our relationships. Some people, because of consistent negative influence, need to remain a part of our past. Others who are in our lives now, need to continue to play a key role in our tomorrow. Wisdom helps frame such things. When I'm counseling, I’ll ask people to paint me a picture of their interaction with the Bible. How key a role does it play in their day to day? Sometimes they roll their eyes as if to say, “point me toward something more tangible.” I honestly believe the Bible is God’s wisdom documented for us so we can know the difference. There is a huge difference between our natural wisdom and the wisdom that comes from a mind soaked in scripture.

My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. Proverbs 2:1-6

No comments: