Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Fun for me is riding my bike. My wife and kids recently gave me a new hybrid model and I can’t thank them enough for the pleasure this thing brings me. It’s a mountain bike frame and gear system with touring bike speed wheels. I literally fly on it. My first fall will make a memory for sure. Went riding last night and the lyrics from this song came to mind. They were actually written by my favorite artist Bruce Cockburn who also loves the two wheel. The drum track has the same cadence as bike pedals clicking at a good steady speed. He wrote this on his first bike ride through Montreal the day he relocated there. Great snapshot lyrics written on his bike pedaling through the inner-city.

My Beat

Past the derelict mattress and the overgrown pavement--over the tracks and through the hole in the fence. Past graffiti-bright buildings and the junkyard alarm bell and the screaming police cars...it's all present tense

It's my beat
In my new town

Past the drunk woman reeling with her bag of provisions--down through the tunnel with the stink-fume bus on to the bike path where it's something like freedom and the wind in my ear-ring whispers..Trust what you must!

It's my beat
In my new town

Ancient and always--the wheel's ever whirling. Today I'm riding. Tomorrow I walk. Step through forever into this very moment...the heart is pumping and the heart rocks

It's my beat
In my new town

1 comment:

aaron said...

That is a good note. Thanks Mike.