Friday, April 11, 2008

whoisgrace?

When we launched our new facility, a team of people crafted a promotional campaign called whoisgrace to stimulate discussion around our region. The centerpiece was the website whoisgrace.com, a web portal that would afford people an opportunity to hear the story of a church on a journey.

One honest question that arose during that time was framed like this. “Isn’t it a bit arrogant and poorly focused to point people to our story and not His? Isn’t our responsibility to direct people to Christ and not ourselves?” A suggestion to rename the website whoisjesus seemed more God honoring to a few. Although I completely understood the rational behind the question, I didn’t agree. I referenced a situation in Jesus’ ministry when Philip asked this question. “Lord show us the Father and that will be enough for us.” Jesus responded: “Don’t you know me. Philip, even after such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and that the Father is in me? Jesus was claiming complete equality and unity with His Father. As Christ followers, we obviously will never be equal to our Lord but it is our joy and mandate to live so fiercely for Him that when people examine our lives…they see Christ! This is the heart behind Jesus’ statement in John 14:20 regarding the coming Holy Spirit. “On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you!”

The whoisgrace story continues as we are preparing to launch yet another new venture called ServErie. ServErie is our heart in action as we live out Christ to the needy and challenged in our community. May our world see Christ in you and in me!

No comments: