Wednesday, April 02, 2008

parables...

I read stories to my grand daughter. She loves them and would sit and listen all night if she could. We read crazy stories about a vampire mathematician with purple skin, singing rabbits and dancing foxes and her favorite, a little Latino girl who explores the world. These stories all have some kind of message embedded in them to teach her simple truths and facts about life as a two year old. She has the best questions and the wildest assumptions when I quiz her after a story.

Maybe this is why I love the parables so much. Jesus would sit with His beloved people gathered around Him and spin simple tales with embedded truth so they could absorb at least some aspect of His love for them.


Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable. So was fulfilled what was spoken through the prophet: "I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.
MT 13:34-35

No comments: