Tuesday, March 18, 2008

why is encouragement important?


There is a gift we can give one another that is quite unlike any other. It's priceless, overwhelmingly helpful, absolutely necessary and universal. People sense that the best gifts are the expensive extravagant items found in the kind of stores most of us could never afford to shop in. Nothing could be farther from the truth. This gift is within reach of all of us and could and should be given every day. I’m talking about encouragement. Scholar William Arthur Ward, wrote these words "Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will never forget you."

How we need other human beings to see value in us. To notice the good things we accomplish or the kind deeds we do. There's also the seasons when life is hard and everything seems impossible. An encouraging word can be like a cool drink of water to one wandering in the desert. What an incredible investment a kind supportive word is to a person crushed under the weight of some disappointment or loss. The true definition of encouragement means that we actually inject courage into the one in need. It's that lack of courage to go on, climb another step or take another risk that must be overcome by encouragement. A very wise person once said...If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again. The right word can inflate a person enough to pick up the pieces and begin again.

Today, as you launch out, be prepared to give the gift of encouragement. I guarantee you will come across one or more worthy recipients. Be the one who lightens the load of another by the simple act of speaking a kind life giving word.

4 comments:

Will McCullough said...

That was great. Thanks Pastor Mike.

Susan said...

I ran across your blog while searching for information on "encouragement" in preparation of my Sunday School lesson for this week on Barnabas. Your post says all the things about encouragement I have been looking for. I would like to read the post to our class, if you have no objections. Thanks for your insight into a vital necessity of life!

Michael Watson said...

So glad this was of some help to you Susan! Bless you.

Anonymous said...

Just came across this post. Beautifully written and very inspiring!